Jean from Howling Frog Books is hosting a Reading All Around the World Challenge and with some trepidation, I’m jumping into the fray.
Why do I want to be part of another challenge? I don’t know. But since this one is so open-ended, the pressure is minimal and the benefits ……… well, hopefully it will get me reading in countries that I normally don’t visit book-wise. In any case, the outline for the challenge is as follows:
- Pick 50+ countries or go for the gold with all of them! The number depends on you.
- Sign up at the project page here.
- Read either fiction by a writer living in/from the country, OR a non-fiction book about it, such as memoir, history, culture, language.
- Tweet your posts with #readingallaround
- There are no time constraints. You can decide on a timeline, but don’t worry if you don’t make it. If you’re going for the full list, I’d recommend five years at least to complete it.
- Keep track of your reading. Maybe fill in a list or build a Google map of all your books and countries. Maintain it at your blog and post about the books you read.
- When you reach your goal, celebrate!
So here I go! Please check out my Reading All Around the World page in progress. I’m not sure at this point how many countries I’ll read so I’ve listed a number of them, and then I’ll chop and change as the mood hits me. Wish me luck!