A Newbery Reading Challenge for 2019! What could be better?! This is a new challenge for me, a challenge to read Newbery Award & Honor Books and Caldecott Medal and Honor books. I love children’s books and this is an opportunity to focus on some of these books for 2019.
Julie from Smiling Shelves is hosting the Newbery Reading Challenge for 2019 and the rules are as follows:
- 3 points for a Newbery Medal Winner
- 2 points for a Newbery Honor Book
- 1 point for a Caldecott Medal or Honor Book
There are five different levels to the Newbery Reading Challenge but I’m going to aim for the easiest, L’Engle at 15-29 points.
Here is a list of the Newbery Medal and Honor books from 1922 to the present and here is a list of the Caldecott books. I can already see that I’m going to have some trouble getting some of the Caldecott books but I have a number of Newbery winners so all is not lost. There are so many books to choose from but here are some possible titles:
- Time of Wonder by Robert McCloskey
- Saint George and the Dragon retold by Margaret Hodges *
- The Golden Fleece and the Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles by Padraic Colum
- The Dark Frigate by Charles Hawes
- Downright Dencey by Caroline Dale Snedecker
- The Trumpeter of Krakow by Eric P. Kelly
- Calico Bush by Rachel Field
- All Sails Set: A Romance of the Flying Cloud by Armstrong Sperry
- Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink
- The White Stag by Kate Seredy
- Blue Willow by Doris Gates
- George Washington’s World by Genevieve Foster
- Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Janet Gray *
- Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes *
- Justin Morgan Had A Horse by Marguerite Henry
- The Hidden Treasures of Glaston by Eleanor Jewett
- My Father’s Dragon by Ruth S. Gannett *
- Daughter of the Mountains by Louise Rankin
- Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes
- Red Sails to Capri by Ann Weil *
- Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham *
- The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
- The Forgotten Daughter by Caroline Dale Snedecker (Newbery Honor 1934) read and reviewed already here and at Children’s Classic Book Carousel with a more in-depth review.
Heavens, there are so many other titles I could list but I’m going to stop here. The starred ones are books that I’ve read before but are soooo good that they must be read again and again. I’m looking so forward to starting this challenge!
- Along Came A Dog by Meinhart DeJong (Newbery Medal Honor Book 1959)
- The Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell (Newbery Medal Winner 1961)