Another Classics Club Spin is in the works. I can go into this one holding my head a little higher; I finished not only my Spin #5, The Seven Storey Mountain, but I also finished Plethora’s Spin, The Odyssey. I’ve also begun my Spin #4, Bleak House, so I will be soon caught up, provided I can finish this new Spin book.
And the rules:
- Go to your blog.
- Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club list.
- Post that list, numbered 1 – 20, on your blog by next Monday.
- Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1 – 20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
- The challenge is to read that book by July 7th.
- Oedipus at Colonus (406 B.C.) – Sophocles
- Swann’s Way (1913) – Marcel Proust
- Tartuffe (1669) – Molière
- The Canterbury Tales (1390s??) – Geoffrey Chaucer
- Le Rêve (1888) – Emile Zola
- The Well at the World’s End (1896) – William Morris
- The Small House at Allington (1864) – Anthony Trollope
- O Pioneers! (1913) – Willa Cather
- Henry IV Part I (1597) – William Shakespeare
- The Man Who Was Thursday (1908) – G.K. Chesterton
- The Silver Chalice (1952) – Thomas Costain
- The Praise of Folly (1509) – Erasmus
- The Custom of the Country (1913) – Edith Wharton
- Pericles, Prince of Tyre (1607 – 1608) – William Shakespeare
- We (1921) – Yevgeny Zamyatin
- Persuasion (1818) – Jane Austen
- Lives (75) – Plutarch
- War and Peace (1869) – Leo Tolstoy
- Henry V (1599) – William Shakespeare
- The Pickwick Papers (1836 – 1837) – Charles Dickens
I’m quite happy with the choices. I have a few Shakespeare on the list, which is wonderful because I haven’t even read one for my challenge. The only problems I foresee are the Zola and Trollope choices, because I’m reading through both series in order, however if one of them is chosen, I’ll simply substitute the next book and read on. I am extremely terrified of choice #2 though. Can I get through Proust in time? And Plutarch’s Lives is loooong, although I’d love to read it. Next Monday will reveal the winner! I can’t wait!